03 October 2007

Second Impressions?

Today was the first day with real academic emphasis. I finally got to meet with my tutors and turned in my summer assignment, which I have published at literarycatechist.blogspot.com for the interested/bored.

So far, everything seems to be going well. I have honestly gotten on best with the English undergraduate freshers so far. It's really nice--at GW, I was impressed by the complex and knowledgeable conversations I had as a new student about politics. Oxford is like that, but with a much wider variety of topics. We had a discussion about the varying merits of Jane Austen's novels this afternoon which was quite refreshing.

Friday morning, I will be participating in a photo shoot contest. I plan to bring my own camera and then to post a large number of pictures so you will be able to see more of this beautiful city. For now, please find yourself entertained by the following anecdote:

Walking home down St Aldate's Street, I pass Christ Church College. Christ Church College is one of the largest and richest schools in Oxford, which not only means it looks like Hogwarts, but was actually the film set for the Hogwarts dining hall.

Little boy: Look Mum! That's wear Harry Potter lives.
Mum: No, darling. I don't think Harry Potter is in there.

No comments: